Friday, February 8, 2013

Learning to Heal Naturally



It's been quiet around the blog this week because a lot of life has been happening. As I mentioned in this weeks Torah Momma Journal we've had decisions and changes to make. The bulk of the changes we're making have to do with health. As believers I think its important to take care of our bodies. I'm sure how that is approached will be different for every one, but here are some of the things we're doing. 

-Switching to a natural toothpaste. With all the chemicals in toothpaste this was probably our easiest switch. Currently we're using a store bought natural toothpaste, but going forward I'll be making it. 

-Eating more real foods. I've always cooked, but now I'm purposing to make more things from scratch. 

-Eating more raw food. My husband definitely pioneered this one, which I was a little surprised about. Our current plan is to drink more green smoothies. I'm hoping to get more creative in this area as we continue on. Although I did make a delicious Israeli style salad the other day that everyone loved.  

-Using herbs and oils instead of traditional medicine. I was around 11 when I first heard about how awesome YHVH is when it comes to healing. My family and I were at a powwow (we're part Native American) and someone was explaining how the cure for poison ivy grows right next to it! I was totally blown away. So since then I've been pretty naturally minded but haven't fully educated myself. This stops NOW!

-Buying organic. We most likely will not be buying everything organic but the things that are known to be the worst offenders we will definitely buy organic. 

-Significantly reducing our use of sugar and working on eliminating white sugar. Someone gave us a bottle of agave and now I'm hooked. I thought it would add a funny taste but it doesn't, and you don't need a lot. I like to use it to sweeten tea for my girls, and myself. It's taking a little convincing to get my hubby on board with this one. 

-Switching from plastic containers to glass. There are so many chemicals in plastic that get released into our foods, so in order to prevent that we're switching to glass storage containers. 

These 7 things are our first steps to living a healthier lifestyle. There is still so much to be done but you have to start where you can. Some of the books I will be reading to educate myself are:



The ABC Herbal: A Simplified Guide to Natural Health Care for Children {EXCELLENT book lots of information, definitely one I will refer to again and again}


Naturally Knocked Up {tons of info about healthy living in general}



Back to Eden {still haven't read yet}





What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. -1 Corinthians 6:19-20






Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Praise to you for taking these steps. We are TRYING here too. The deeper we grew in YHVH's truths the more I wanted to change the things we ate and used in our home too. It is a fun journey but does take a lot of prep work and some research.

    I can't wait to read more about what your family will be doing. I love that I have an online family that can encourage me with all these area's of growth.

    Have a wonderful Shabbath0
    Abbey (Seeking More)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! You can do it... I am also so encourage to read about families of Yah who are taking hold of so many areas of their health and life... it's a blessing to read! Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! If a farmer's market is around that will help with buying organic. We're making a switch from plastic to glass as well. And changing our pans and pots to cast iron. Definitely getting away from those "non stick" pots/pans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have an almost full bottle of agave nectar in our cabinet, and it's been there for about a year! I had read that agave was a good substitute for sugar, but then shortly after buying the bottle, I read that agave isn't so good for you after all ... So for now, we still use regular sugar and honey.

    We are considering making the switch to glass as well. We're already using glass baby bottles (when I pump). And we no longer microwave our food in plastic dishes/containers.

    I really want my family to get back into eating
    healthy, non -processed foods. I think starting with smoothies will be less intimidating for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to see that ya'll are interested in this too. Going on a journey is always more fun when you've got friends along for the ride :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. -Proverbs 16:24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...