Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Obedience

I haven't been writing much about the scripture that the Lord has been pressing on me so I guess this is long over due! 


I just finished reading Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl. I highly recommend this book but I also caution that you need to review things mentioned in your own Bible and pray on it with the Lord. The Pearls are human and can't replace the Bible. Ok now that, that is out of the way. I loved this book! I found myself cringing at times because of how convicting it was. I had to put it down and take a break from time to time. Normally I devour a book that I really enjoy. But this one took me months to read. I had to soak it in bit by bit and at times I had to wait until I was ready to admit my faults. 


Something that really stood out to me was the concept of obeying our husbands. Everyone may not agree that we are to obey our husbands but:



4That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
 5To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. -Titus 2:4-5


If the older women are to teach the younger to be obedient to their own husbands then clearly the Lord wants us to obey our OWN husbands. I hope I'm not over simplifying this.


Even if that's not enough to "persuade" you then think on your wedding vows. Maybe you didn't have "to obey" in yours but mine did. So if I agreed to do the things in my vows I must then obey my husband. 


Boy oh boy! I am not very obedient. I'm definitely a do it my way kind of woman. But I promised God and my husband that I would obey. In striving to be a godly wife I am commanded to submit to my husband as unto the Lord, YIKES! I've only been married a short while. I've read in my Bible how I am to submit, I more or less know the things I'm supposed to be doing. But how do you put this into action? It seems I could read all day, and study all night but when it comes to actually doing....well, let's just say I struggle. I think I submit to my husband. But I've found its easier to submit, or obey, when I agree than when I don't agree! But I'm not called to submit only when I agree, I'm called to SUBMIT period. 


My prayer right now is that I can learn to live out the admonishment from the author of 1 Peter 3:1-11. 


 1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
 2While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
 3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
 4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
 5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
 6Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
 7Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
 8Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
 9Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
 10For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
 11Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. -Proverbs 16:24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...