Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why can't I dance?

I'm beginning to question my music standards. I just kind of adopted the belief that "worldly sounding" music, and dancing were bad. But I never actually had any beliefs on the subject of my own. I've heard sermons on how "Christian rock" is bad and how "our music" shouldn't sound like the world's and I agree with that, BUT does that mean that we can't use certain instruments? Does that mean that a song that has an energetic beat is wrong? I'm thinking no. I think YHVH loves to hear us lift up our voices in songs of praise. 


 “IT IS A GOOD THING TO GIVE THANKS UNTO THE LORD, AND TO SING PRAISES UNTO THY NAME, O MOST HIGH:” –Psalm 92:1
“Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises.” -Psalm 47:6
"Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him.” -Psalm 68:4
 “Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.” –Psalm 100:2
Those are just a few of the times that singing unto the Lord is mentioned in Scripture. So now that we have that cleared up. When I sing, I sing with my whole body. I sway, move my arms, or I may even be led to bounce around. Of course this is in private! :o) But singing praises to YHVH is not just moving my lips. It really takes my whole being to praise HIM! But in most conservative Christian circles dancing is seriously frowned upon. So is any music that has too much of a beat to it (meaning drums are out).
Now I don’t think that the music needs to overpower the message in the song which happens all too often, when we focus too much on the beat, or when we remake songs of the world and give them “spiritual” lyrics. But what’s wrong with a simple melody that has a variety of instruments (not just a piano) and it leads the listener to DANCE? I say nothing BUT what do the Scriptures say?
“A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance” -Ecclesiastes 3:4
Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.”-Psalm 30:11-12
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.” –Psalm 150:4
“Again I will build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: thou shalt again be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry” –Jeremiah 31:4

I’m thinking there is nothing wrong with dancing to praise YHVH. In fact I think that if we are dancing with a pure heart that is truly praising HIM then it’s a good thing. There's nothing wrong with singing Psalms and hymns, but I'm finding there's nothing wrong with other songs either. Now I have to go find some good worship music! :o) 




3 comments:

  1. I loved this post! Thank-you ... I hope you find some really good worship music! Enjoy worshipping your Abba!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of Davidic Dance? It's quite beautiful! Worship him in dance and dancing in a Hebraic way is fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YahKheena- I haven't ever heard of Davidic Dance. I'm going to have to look into it. Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. -Proverbs 16:24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...