Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Challah!


I meant to share a picture of the first loaf I made weeks ago, but I didn't get around to it. So here is the egg-free Challah that I made this past Shabbat. This one was my best yet! Very soft and light :o) 

We had a wonderful Shabbat, things didn't go as planned but it was a blessing, as always. It was also our first Shabbat using a messianic Siddur. I went to Hebrew4Christians.com and copied down the prayers and blessings. Hubby liked having it because it really helped us to have structure and order. It was really a sweet time for our family. 

Here is the recipe I used:

Whole Wheat Challah

1 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. yeast (or one package)
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup soy milk, milk, or water
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. honey (or sugar)
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Mix together warm water, yeast and sugar - let sit ten minutes until frothy. Mix together with soy milk, honey, salt and olive oil. Then add flour until dough is just a little sticky but manageable. Spray bowl with Pam and let rise for about 1.5 hours. Punch down, braid into challah shape, let rise about another 1/2 hour to an hour. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.


I let mine rise for a lot longer than the recipe called for, mainly because I was busy :o) but I found that it came out better that way. SO I recommend letting it rise for 3 hours before punching it down. Then after you braid it, let it rise for 2-3 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. -Proverbs 16:24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...