Monday, March 18, 2013

90 Days in the Word: Wrap Up #2



I can barely believe we're just about a quarter way through reading the Bible chronologically in 90 days! If you started reading on March 1st then today is day 18, and if you've completed your readings that means... You've read all of Genesis, Job, Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers! What an amazing accomplishment. If you haven't started it's still not too late. The plan has no dates so you can always start whenever you want. 

This week's group of scriptures contained one of my favorite passages. The one about Balaam and his donkey :o) I always get something when I read this passage but this time what stood out to me most was the questioning of Elohim's authority. In chapter 22 verse 13 we read: 

"And Elohim said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed."

That's an end of discussion answer. But when Balak sent his messengers to offer more to Balaam, he decided to ask Elohim AGAIN even though he had an answer. NO. 


Now therefore, I pray you, tarry ye also here this night, that I may know what YHVH will say unto me more. And Elohim came unto Balaam at night, and said unto him, If the men come to call thee, rise up, and go with them; but yet the word which I shall say unto thee, that shalt thou do. And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his donkey, and went with the princes of Moab. And Elohim's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of YHVH stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his donkey, and his two servants were with him. -Num 22:19-22


In the past I didn't understand why Elohim was angry. I always felt like it was a set up. One of those you tell me to go and then you get made kind of a deals. But verse 32 clears that up. 

And the angel of YHVH said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine donkey these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:

What Balaam did was perverse, or reckless, before Elohim. But what did Balaam do? He didn't obey. Instead of being obedient to the Word of YHVH he allowed his greed to give him reason to search for a way out. Like a child who says "I know you said I have to eat all me peas, but, look I ate three. Is that enough?"

That revelation really made me question my heart and my motives. Do I seek to obey YHVH even when I'd rather do something else? Or am I like Balaam seeking to please myself more then YHVH?


...choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve YHVH. -Joshua 24:15

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. There are not many women mentioned in the Bible, I'm glad one of them was Balaam's donkey :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. -Proverbs 16:24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...