Thursday, March 14, 2013

DIY: Eczema Rescue Salve


I mentioned before that our youngest has eczema, and that it's something we are really hoping to treat with herbs. So I read up on herbs that are good for treating eczema topically and decided to make this herbal salve. The method I used is the basic method for making a salve so it can be done with whatever herbs you want. 

Here's what I did:


First I made an herbal oil infusion. This can be done quickly in a crockpot or over a few weeks in a jar. I chose the quick method, using echinacea, comfrey, and plantain. I put the herbs in my crockpot and then covered them with olive oil (coconut may be a better oil for this, but we avoid it because of allergies). I let them sit for about an hour on low and then switched it to warm for 2 more hours. You have to know your crockpot to determine the heat settings, because having it too hot will fry your herbs. 


After the herbs and oil cooled I strained out the oil. You can use a cheese cloth or a clean cotton cloth to strain it, make sure to squeeze the herbs to get out all the oily goodness. Then slowly heat the oil on the stove.


Gradually add in your beeswax. Mine came in little pieces but if you have a brick then you need to grate it so that you have small pieces. I didn't measure this step I just added some and then tested to see if it was the right consistency. 


Drip some of your oil wax mixture onto a plate to test the consistency. It  should cool quickly so you'll know if it's right. Mine was just how I wanted it on the first test. but if yours isn't then add more wax to harden it or more oil to soften it. 


Once it was the right consistency I poured it in a bowl and stirred it until it cooled. This is important because if you don't stir it the oil and wax will separate. 


Once it cooled  I poured the mixture into a tin and smoothed out the top. I also had my hubby make a cute label since it's for a cute little girl :o)


I'm only planning to use this to get her condition under control. After that I'll use it sort of as a spot treatment. It's also good for cuts, scraps, and bug bites. The salve should last for a few years, but if you want to add to it's shelf life you can add some vitamin E oil. 


...and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine. 
-Ezekiel 47:12


Photobucket
Linking up with: Health 2day Wednesday, Eco Kids Tuesdays

4 comments:

  1. Let us know how well it worked :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making homemade salves.

    I'd love it if you'd share your post with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-Up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope to see you again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls have eczema too, so I would love to make this! I'm featuring it on Eco Kids today, and I hope you'll join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. -Proverbs 16:24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...