Saturday, February 20, 2010

On my mind...

For a very long time it has been on my heart to study about the Hebrew roots of Christianity. As a Christian I accept that the Jews are the chosen people, but I also know their eyes are closed. That knowledge kind of kept me from actually doing any real digging. But then one day, the Lord showed me something. THERE ARE MESSIANIC JEWS! How delighted was I! There are Jews that KNOW and BELIEVE that JESUS CHRIST IS THE MESSIAH!!!! Praise GOD!

So now here I am, wondering what all this means for me. Can you be a Bible believer and ignore the commands of the old testament? I believe that sacrifices were nailed to cross but I do not believe laws were.

Example of instances in my life (prior to study of Hebrew roots):

1.)I am a vegetarian. Not because I think killing animals is wrong or because I am trying to "save the earth" but rather because there are certain laws that are laid out for slaughter.*leviticus 7:26-27 "Moreover ye shall eat no manner of blood, whether it be of fowl or of beast, in any of your dwellings. 27 Whatsoever soul it be that eateth any manner of blood, even that soul shall be cut off from his people."* This law, and others, are not followed in our society. Most meats sit in their blood until being sold, and then are cooked in its blood. So I do not eat meat. I do eat fish, but no crustaceans. Only fish with scales.*Leviticus 11:9-10 "These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. 10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you"*

*Leviticus 20:25 "Ye shall therefore put difference between clean beasts and unclean, and between unclean fowls and clean: and ye shall not make your souls abominable by beast, or by fowl, or by any manner of living thing that creepeth on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean"* I know that some animals are "clean beasts" but I want to be sure. This is something that I haven't done a HUGE study on but I have prayed on it, and are the wishes of S/O who I must trust to be my spiritual leader, since he will be my husband. I'm not sure he would give you such a detailed explanation because these are customs he was raised with.(I was vegetarian before I met him, but then my family told me I would never find a husband. So I switched back to meat. Then as I was transitioning back to vegetarian I met S/O. Isn't God just so wonderful like that? HE knows everything, and lines things up perfectly!)



2.) I am dresses only. This is something S/O mentioned early on in our relationship, and I ignored him. But now a few years later the Lord placed it on my heart and S/O couldn't be happier about it. (I love how he cares about what goes on with me)
*Dueteronomy 22:5 "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."*

If I follow these things why not the rest? now obviously I'm not going to go about stoning people. *John 8:7 "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her"* That clears that up! But what about other thing? My next step is to study the holidays (or Holy Days) of the OT. If God wants me to celebrate why not celebrate?

As I continue on the journey to please the LORD, I have found that checking things against the New Testament help tremendously. But that the New Testament does not replace the old. Rather it only makes the Old Testament stronger and more important! I do not strive to do these things in order to gain salvation or to assist with my salvation. But, rather, to honor such a loving GOD that PROVIDES my salvation!



May all the honor and Glory be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. -Proverbs 16:24

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...